Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bedtime

It is now 8:31 and both kiddos are in bed. Why am I blogging about that you ask?!? Because they both went to sleep, in their own bed, on their own. C was NEVER very good about putting herself to sleep. Mike and I spent many nights falling asleep on the floor waiting for C to fall asleep. She was never the baby that would cry for 10 minutes and then put herself to sleep. I was never the mother to let her cry for more than that. As a matter of fact, she started falling asleep on her own on a regular basis about the time she stopped sucking her thumb. (For those of you keeping track, that was about 2 months ago!) Another sign my sweet C is growing up! M seems to be a the definition of the word boy. The parents of the sweet girls in my class come in all the time and tell just to wait, they have another one coming... and it's a boy!! They tell me how different the boys are, and boy am I in for it. Being a teacher I notice the difference in boys and girls. I took classes about it in college. That was part of the basis for being being afraid of having a boy. Now that M is here, I can't believe I ever doubted my sweet boy. Ask me again in a couple of years, though. Okay- back on subject. Part of our nightly routine is for one of us to deal with C while the other deals with M. It starts after bath time. After M is all clean and ready for bed, we sit down for the last bottle before he falls asleep. Some nights he falls asleep while eating. Here lately he does not want to sleep. He turns and squirms and rolls all over you while smiling and laughing and watching time tick by. It is quite a task to get M to sleep, which is why we decided to try putting him in his crib tonight. I have been debating it in my mind because I enjoy our time together. I love the smiles and snuggles that bedtime brings with both of my kids. I know that this time will not last forever and I want to keep them close as long as possible. Tonight Mike decided to give it a try. TONIGHT it worked! My question is will it continue to work, AND do I want it to? We will have to wait and see what other nights will bring. Hopefully I didn't jinx us by blogging about it! Wish us luck!!!

1 comment:

Suzy Q said...

"Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child"

I recommend this book to anyone and everyone. It saved my life and many other mothers I know with big families.